This time ’round, I chose swim… I just finished a 3 week block with 61 kilometers of swimming in total, a new record for me. After a couple of lessons with Monica and plenty of FAC swim practices, it’s become clear to me that swimming is sort of like losing weight. There is no magic secret pill that will replace hard work!

Swimming 20k a week takes me kind of a long time. On the plus side, I am enjoying the time in the water, and, per my last post, I’m totally not pale!

School starts tomorrow. I teach an 8 a.m. recitation section (which is what they call “discussion” here), but since the first lecture for the class isn’t until 10 a.m. tomorrow, my only plan is to take roll, play an ice breaker game of some kind, and tell them to go make snow angels or something exciting. And to show up to lecture.

I’d also batted around the idea of doing a general grammar/writing lesson, but instead I might devote that energy towards a strongly spell-checked letter to the city of Golden. Today I met Shaz at the Dinosaur Lots to carpool up to Devil’s Thumb for a day of skate skiing, and I had to leave my poor car in the “wooly” mammoth lot. Such outrageous carelessness with taxpayer dollars! Or was it cheaper to leave out that second L? Either way I am in a tizzy.

(p.s., for those of you who read this via feeds, I just finished updating my website with new pages, 2011 sponsors, and photos – check it out!)

Share Button

Comments

This entry was posted on Sunday, January 9th, 2011 at 8:43 pm and is filed under Grad School, training. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 Comments so far

1. Angelina on January 10, 2011 4:15 am

Wow, that is huge swim distance. Just keep at it. You do give me an inspiration to stick with my swim training.

2. B Ruther on January 10, 2011 2:46 pm

I hate to nitpick but you complain about Golden spelling Woolly as “wooly” I believe (but may be wrong) that “roll” call is actually “role” call – however, I am assuming you were making some type of intelligent joke when you called it “roll” call.

3. Courtenay on January 10, 2011 4:37 pm

Well, I actually did call roll! If it were “role” call then we would be talking about our roles I guess, but “roll call” is in fact the term for calling names off a list (a.k.a. roll) to determine presence/absence.

Tomorrow’s class will have more of a plan. I’m excited.

4. Loren Pokorny on January 10, 2011 6:12 pm

Actually, there is a pill that will make you lose weight, or at least make it really easy to: phendimetrazine.

5. Courtenay on January 10, 2011 6:17 pm

But it has negative consequences and side effects.

6. Kelly on January 11, 2011 9:28 pm

i decided if you aren’t going to swim 20K yards per week, then it doesn’t matter. so, i’m going with it doesn’t matter.

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Share your wisdom

Powered by WP Hashcash

cheap football shirts  | cheap football shirts  | cheap football shirts  | cheap football shirts  | cheap football shirts  | cheap football shirts  | cheap football shirts  | cheap football shirts  | cheap football shirts  | cheap football shirts  | cheap football shirts  | cheap football shirts  | cheap football shirts  | cheap football shirts  | cheap football shirts  | cheap football shirts  | cheap football shirts  | cheap football shirts  | cheap football shirts  | cheap football shirts  | cheap football shirts  | cheap football shirts  | cheap football shirts  | cheap football shirts  | cheap football shirts  | cheap football shirts  |